MISSION & VALUES
Antaeus is an actor-driven theater company that explores and produces timely and timeless works, grounded in our passion for the Classics.
We illuminate diverse human experiences through performance, training and outreach.
We believe in the transformative power of live theater.
- Artistic Excellence: Some of the finest artists in the American theatre call Antaeus their home. We believe in excellence and strive for greatness. We believe in taking creative risks and working above and beyond our comfort zones in order to create experiences that stimulate, inspire, and challenge our audiences.
- Company: We are a community built by artists who have chosen to contribute their vast array of talents to Antaeus. Our dedication to the larger group is our strength, and makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
- Community Engagement: Theatre is a profoundly social act. Antaeus is a gathering place where actors and audiences can come together for a shared experience. We recognize it is important to engage our audiences on and off the stage. Using theatre as a catalyst, we stimulate important conversations to nurture understanding and create empathy.
- Inclusivity: We are committed to creating a welcoming environment and deeper inclusion within our company. Antaeus strives for diversity through Company membership, Board membership, staff, inclusive casting, choice of artistic material, and through our community engagement. We are a space where all voices are heard.
- Respect: We are committed to actively communicating by both listening and hearing without prejudice; we value each other’s opinions. We approach our conversations with empathy, generosity, and a collaborative spirit to build a lasting foundation that honors our commitments to each other and the company.
- Artistic Growth: We have a thirst for knowledge and are committed to growing as artists. Grounded in classical text and training, we are an artistic home where professional actors can continue to work on their craft amongst their peers. We inspire the next generation of theater artists through performance, education, and outreach.
- Accountability: Antaeus builds trust through mutual respect and integrity in all of our interactions. We keep our word and honor our commitments to the company, the community, our audiences, and each other.
- Professionalism: Antaeus is a leader in the professional arts community, which is reflected in the quality and vision of our artists, staff, and board members.
Antaeus began in 1991 as a project of the prestigious Center Theatre Group. Founding Artistic Directors Dakin Matthews and Lillian Groag believed there could be a world-class classical ensemble in a city driven by the TV and film industry. They brought together a remarkable group of 30 members to embark on this ambitious project. The group came together every Monday night to read, study and rehearse great classical plays. After three decades and hundreds of readings, workshops and productions later, Antaeus has established an impressive reputation as a leader in the Los Angeles intimate theater community.
The company moved to North Hollywood in 1995, and in 1996 we incorporated as a non-profit organization. Antaeus expanded its reach in 2002 by establishing the Antaeus Academy, which provides classical training for professional artists from all backgrounds. We formalized our Arts Education outreach programs in 2003, allowing us to reach people most in need of greater arts access in Los Angeles through a creative writing and theater program.
In 2005, Co-Artistic Directors John Apicella and Jeanie Hackett got serious about professionalizing the administrative and fundraising areas of the organization in order to secure a permanent home. In 2006, while we grew our infrastructure and programming, and looked for a permanent home, Antaeus took up temporary residence at Deaf West Theatre in North Hollywood. In 2009, Jeanie Hackett became sole Artistic Director of the Company, during which time she produced our first full season in 2010, and planned our award-winning 2011 season.
In 2014, we launched the Playwrights Lab deepening our commitment to developing extraordinary new plays that stand the test of time. The New Classics Initiative deepens that investment in new plays even further by supporting a robust Los Angeles theater ecosystem – one that we hope will have an impact extending far beyond the Los Angeles community.
In March 2017, after four years of fundraising and almost one year of construction, we were thrilled to open the doors to our new, permanent home in Downtown Glendale, the Kiki & David Gindler Performing Arts Center.
Our current leadership team includes Executive Director Ana Rose O’Halloran and Artistic Directors Bill Brochtrup and Kitty Swink. As Antaeus continues to grow and mature, we remain committed to producing full seasons of plays, providing professional training and arts education programs, and utilizing our home as much as possible.