90272: Virtual Tour
Pacific Palisades has been poetically described as “Where the Mountains Meet the Sea,” which is an appropriate epithet for one of L.A.’s most beautiful natural areas. One of the first major developments in the Palisades was the site of the “Long Wharf”, also known as the Port of Los Angeles or the Mile Long Pier, built in 1893. It was the longest wharf in the world and became both a tourist attraction and an important part of development in Southern California, with its main import being lumber. However, it fell into decline after 1912 when the Port of Los Angeles was established near Long Beach, and was ultimately removed by 1933.
The area drew further attention when filmmaker Thomas Ince, known as the “father of the Western,” built a massive movie studio known as Inceville in 1911. However, a series of fires destroyed much of the complex and the opening of his studio company in Culver City led Ince to sell the property. In 1922, the land was bought by Reverend Charles H. Scott of the Southern California Methodist Episcopal Church, who envisioned the area as a spiritual and intellectual commune for his parishioners. They came up with the name Pacific Palisades. By 1929 the Palisades was an established town; the paving of Sunset Boulevard in 1925 and the opening of the Riviera Country Club in 1927 drew visitors and residents to the area. The completion of the Roosevelt Highway (now known as the PCH) in 1929 connected the region to larger cities.