90024: In Person Tour
Westwood was developed on land called Wolfskill Ranch owned by Arthur Letts, founder of the Broadway and the Bullock’s department stores. Letts left the land to his son-in-law, Harold Janss, who through the Janss Investment Company started developing the area and building residences. In addition to Westwood, Harold and his brother Edwin Janss Sr. also developed Van Nuys and Canoga Park. Upon developing the land, the brothers lobbied the city of Los Angeles to choose the area for the new campus of the University of California, Southern Branch, now known as UCLA. The first undergraduate classes were held on the new campus in 1929 with 5,500 students.