The Antaeus Theatre Company accepts full-length scripts that have been adapted from classical literature and/or new works with a keen sense of language and enduring themes that might be loosely termed "classical." The plays may come from a broad range of styles generally taking inspiration from the Classical tradition. For a complete list of guidelines, please see below.
The Antaeus Theatre Company
Play Submissions: Guidelines for Writers
The Antaeus Theatre Company accepts full-length scripts that have been adapted from classical literature and/or new works with a keen sense of language and enduring themes that might be loosely termed "classical." The plays may come from a broad range of styles generally taking inspiration from the Classical tradition.
Selected scripts will be presented as a staged reading for the public and will be considered for possible future development and production. Staged readings are cast from our large ensemble of classically trained professional actors.
Our Literary Department is made up of company members.
Submission period is from January - August. Plays submitted outside of this period will not be considered
Submissions are gratefully accepted from literary agents, or by referral from theatre professionals with whom we have existing relationships.
- Playwrights with at least one professional credit. (A professional credit is considered to be any production that employs Equity actors.)
- Unproduced full-length plays or plays that have not been produced in New York City or Los Angeles for critical review and that match the above description (PDF format). (We do not consider synopses and dialogue samples and will not respond to them.)
- We are open to any cast size, but larger ensembles are encouraged, as are plays that require minimal technical elements. We are looking for roles that are well suited to our company members, so we encourage any submitting playwrights to familiarize themselves with our work.
- A cover letter (1 page maximum) containing a brief synopsis, cast size, and imagined technical requirements.
- Author’s bio/resume and development history of submitted play.
- Scripts that are an adaptation of copyrighted materials or incorporate copyrighted materials must include a statement stating that the playwright has obtained the rights to use such material.
- Musicals and plays for children will not be considered.
Please submit the above in electronic format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All correspondence is by email. No phone calls, please. Please do not mail or drop off hard copies of scripts. Due to our limited resources, we are only able to accept one play at a time from the same author and cannot consider resubmissions, including those which have been significantly revised.
Please allow at least six to eight months for the review process of scripts.
The Antaeus Theatre Company welcomes submissions from any professional playwrights, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
We are looking to collaborate as well as to interpret. Selected playwrights are always welcome and encouraged to participate in our staged reading process.
Thank you for your interest in the Antaeus Theatre Company!